ResTechs: On-Site Service for On-Campus Residents

Hotline: (703) 993-8870   Hours: Sun 2p-10p, Mon-Thurs 8a-10pm, Friday 8a-5p, Saturday 10a-2p
Locations: Innovation Hall & Johnson Center Kiosk H

For general instructions on how to add a wireless printer click here. For general instructions on connecting your gaming devices click here.

Gaming Consoles, Smart TV's and Network Connected Devices

Q: How do I connect my gaming console or Smart TV to the resident network? 
A: You will need to register your console's MAC address with our network via For general instructions on connecting your gaming devices click here.

Q: Should I use the wired or wireless network for my gaming console?
A: It is highly recommended that you use the wired network after registering your console on for a better gaming experience.

Q: Can I connect my Chromecast?
A: No, at this time Chromecasts are unable to connect to our network. AppleTVs, Roku, and Amazon Firestick have been reported to work however.

Q: Can I connect my Amazon Echo, Google Home..etc?
A: No, at this time Amazon Echo, Google Home and similar devices are not supported on our network. It is a new technology that is intended for home environments, not enterprise environments.

Wired & Wireless Network

Q: Which network is preferred, wired or wireless?
A: The wired network is the preferred network as it is both faster and more stable, however you may use the wireless network as well. If you would like a ethernet cable, please drop by the ITS Support Center as they often have ethernet cables to give out.

Q: I see a few wireless networks. Which one's the right one?
A: For 802.1x capable devices (most modern PCs and Macs) while in the dorms you should connect to MASON-SECURE with your Mason NetID and Patriot Pass Password. For devices that are not capable of using the 802.1x protocol, register your device at and connect to the Mason network. More information is available at

Q: How can my guests connect to the Mason network?
A: Your guest can connect to the Mason Network and go through self-registration to create an account. The account is valid for 7 days. More information can be found on

Q: My roommate can access the wired network from our room, but I can't. Is there something wrong with my jack?
A: First, make sure you are connecting to the bottom pair of jacks. Next, try to move your roommate's connection to your jack temporarily. If they CAN connect from your jack also, then the problem is not your jack.  If your roommate CANNOT connect from your jack, then you probably have a problem with your jack. Call the ITS Support Center at 703-993-8870 to report your defective jack.

Q: Does it matter which jack I use?
A: Residence Hall jacks typically have three plugs. The top, bottom left, and bottom right. If you use the wrong cable in the jack you may damage the jack. The top jack is A, and is for your phone. You should use an RJ11 cable (phone cord) for connection to your phone. The lower jacks are B (left) and C (right). These are data jacks for internet connection for your computers. You can connect to either B or C, depending on which one your roommate is using. You should use an RJ45 cable (Ethernet cord) for connection to the internet.

Q: How do I get my IP address?
A: Make sure your computer is set to automatically obtain an IP address and DNS server address. Once that's done, hook your computer to a network jack using an ethernet cable. Your computer will automatically receive an IP address and configure itself to use that IP address once it is connected.

Q: What do I do if my computer does not automatically get an IP address after connecting my computer to the network jack on the wall?
A: Make sure you are using an appropriate network cable. You should use an ethernet cable that is at least CAT5e compatible. Check your network adapter and ensure its driver is properly configured and set to automatically obtain an IP address. Use the "repair" feature from within the "Local Area Connection" settings in the control panel.


Cable TV is provided by Campus Televideo. You can find more information on their FAQ page.


Q: Does Mason provide antivirus software?
A: Yes! Just go to in order to download the correct version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) for your system. SEP is available for both PC and Mac.

Q: How often should I reset my PatriotPass password?
A: Passwords must be reset every 180 days in order to maintain security. You will get an email 30 days, 15 days, and every day after that letting you know that your password is about to expire.

Q: Is my email password for MASONLIVE the same as my PatriotPass password that I use to get into PatriotWeb/Blackboard?
A: No, MASONLIVE and PatriotPass use two different passwords. Please visit here for more information.

Q: I believe I got a phishing email.
A: In order to learn about common phishing practices, please view the IT Security Office's phishing guidelines here in order to learn how to best identify malicious phishing emails. Remember, Mason employees will never ask for your username and password in an email.

This page content was last modified on January 26, 2017.